This Privacy Statement applies to all Randwick City Councils' websites, electronic direct mail and online services. Council does not have any responsibility for the privacy policies or practices of third party sites linked to/from the Randwick City Council website.
Users of Randwick City Councils' websites and online services are entitled to expect that any information collected as a result of that use will be treated within the terms of Randwick City Council's privacy responsibilities and obligations. Randwick City Council's privacy practices are regulated by the New South Wales Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 and outlined in its Privacy Management Plan PDF, 704.56 KB.
What information do we collect?
When you look at pages on Randwick City Councils' websites and online services, our computers automatically record information that identifies, for each page accessed:
- The IP (Internet Protocol) address of the machine which has accessed it
- Your top-level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk, etc.)
- The address of your server
- The date and time of your visit to the website
- The pages accessed and documents downloaded
- The previous website visited
- The type of browser and operating system you have used
Our websites use Google Analytics, a service which transmits website traffic data to Google servers in the United States. Google Analytics does not identify individual users or associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. We use reports provided by Google Analytics to help us understand website traffic and web page usage.
How do we use the information collected?
The information collected during each visit is aggregated with similar logged information and published in reports in order for Council to identify usage patterns of the website. This information will assist in improving Randwick City Councils' websites and services.
Council will not disclose or publish information that identifies individual machines, or potentially identifies sub-groupings of addresses, without consent or otherwise in accordance with the New South Wales Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998, or its Privacy Management Plan.
What exceptions are there to this rule?
Council will collect, use and disclose more extensive information than stated above in the following circumstances:
- Unauthorised attempts to access files which are not published on Randwick City Council pages
- Unauthorised tampering or interference with files published on Randwick City Councils' websites
- Unauthorised attempts to index the contents of Randwick City Councils' websites by other websites
- Attempts to intercept messages of other users of Randwick City Councils' websites
- Communications which are defamatory, abusive, vilify individuals or groups or which give rise to a suspicion that an offence is being committed
- Attempts to otherwise compromise the security of the web server, breach the laws of the State of New South Wales or Commonwealth of Australia, or interfere with the enjoyment of Randwick City Councils' websites by other users
Council reserves the right to make disclosures to relevant authorities where the use of Randwick City Councils' websites raises a suspicion that an offence is being, or has been, committed.
In the event of an investigation, Council will provide access to data to any law enforcement agency that may exercise a warrant to inspect our logs.
Is the information stored securely?
Yes. Information collected is stored in an appropriately secure format and held by Council for archival purposes. When the information is no longer required for the purposes for which it was collected it is deleted.
What will we do with information provided in Feedback?
Feedback facilities on Randwick City Councils' websites allow users to provide input into the future development of websites and other services and to comment on the provision of services by Randwick City Council.
The provision of personal details on feedback is optional.
Users may provide personal details for the purpose of receiving a reply to their feedback. This information will only be used for the purpose for which it was provided. Randwick City Council will not add your email address or name to any mailing list.
Council may publish aggregated information about feedback on the website, to the extent that it does not identify or cannot be used to identify individual users.
Who else has access to information?
Council captures information on its own computers. Access to the raw data is restricted to a limited number of officers for the purpose of analysis and to report on the success of the Randwick City Council website in meeting the Council communication and access objectives.
Subscribing to receive email updates
Questions regarding this practice
If you have any questions about the application of this Privacy Practice please contact Randwick City Council's Customer & Compliance Department.