Your right to information
On 1 July 2010 new right to information legislation came into effect, replacing the former freedom of information law.
The new law:
- creates new rights to information that are designed to meet community expectations of more open and transparent government
- encourages government agencies to proactively release government information.
You can find out more about your right to information and new ways to access NSW government information on the Office of the Information Commissioner (OIC) website.
Accessing Council Information
Randwick City Council is committed to the following principles regarding public access to documents and information:
- Open and transparent government
- Consideration of the overriding public interest in relation to access requests
- Proactive disclosure and dissemination of information
- Respect for the privacy of individuals
Council publishes specific open access information on its website, free of charge unless to do so would impose unreasonable additional costs to Council. Council also makes as much other information as possible publicly available in an appropriate manner, including on the internet. Such information is also available free of charge or at the lowest reasonable cost.
Council has an obligation under the Government Information (Public Access) Act (GIPA) to publicise certain 'open access information' on its website, unless there is an overriding public interest against disclosure of the information or unless to do so would impose unreasonable additional costs to Council.
Our Access to Information Guidelines document identifies the documents and types of information that are available for public access and any restrictions that may apply. Council will assess all requests for access to documents and information in a timely manner and in accordance with the following document:
- Access to Information Policy
- Access to Information Guidelines
- Access to Information Frequently Asked Questions
To make an application for access to information held by Council, please use our Access to Information Request form (pdf 518kb). Depending upon the nature of the request and the form of access requested charges may apply.
For formal applications under the GIPA Act use the GIPA application form (please note - $30.00 application fee applies) (pdf 100kb)