A sense of community
Places for people
Looking after our environment
Complying development certificates

A complying development certificate is required for smaller scale developments such as certain alterations and additions to dwellings, garages, carports, pergolas and shade structures, internal shop or office fitouts, re-cladding or refurbishing certain buildings, swimming pools, sheds, fences and retaining walls. The detailed criteria are contained in Council's Exempt and Complying Development DCP.

Applications for a complying development certificate require detailed building plans and specifications.

A complying development certificate can only be issued if:

  • the proposed development fully complies with the specific requirements and criteria for complying development in Council's LEP and DCP for Exempt & Complying Development
  • the proposal complies with the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979.

If the proposed work does not satisfy the criteria specified in the Exempt & Complying Development DCP, a Development Application  must be submitted to Council.

Complying development certificates can usually be issued by Council's business unit, Building Certification Services, within ten days.

For more information, see Exempt and Complying Development .  

How to apply for a Complying Development Certificate

Fill out a Complying Development Certificate Application and submit it with:

  • details of the building for the Australian Bureau of Statistics
  • four copies of detailed building plans and building specifications
  • four copies of structural engineering plans, or other technical details, such as mechanical ventilation details, stormwater drainage details, timber/metal framing and fire safety details
  • full details of compliance with the Building Code of Australia
  • details of compliance with the relevant BASIX and Building Code of Australia energy efficiency and water saving requirements
  • details of compliance with the Home Building Act 1989 insurance provisions for residential building work (ie certificate of insurance)
  • details of the licensed builder or owner builder (if known at lodgement stage)
  • specific details which are required to be submitted in accordance with the conditions of development consent
  • details about the payment of the Building Construction Industry Long Service Leave Levy for building work costing $25,000 or more
  • payment of any security deposits or monetary contributions required by the development consent
  • a list of existing and proposed essential fire safety measures (except in relation to dwellings and associated structures such as garages, carports, storage sheds or other out-buildings). For example:
    • fire doors
    • hose reels
    • fire hydrants
    • fire extinguishers
    • sprinkler systems
    • fire and smoke detection systems
    • smoke hazard management systems
    • exit signs
    • emergency lighting.
  • any relevant compliance certificates or other design certification and details
  • a written statement detailing compliance with the relevant category criteria in council's DCP for Complying Development
  • payment of the application and PCA fees.

You can check your application against the Complying Development Certificate Application Lodgement Checklist.