The suburb of Phillip Bay is located on the south east of Randwick City and is bounded by Matraville and Chifley to the north, Port Botany to the west, La Perouse to the south and Little Bay to the east. The suburb includes the open space area of Yarra Bay, Bicentennial Park and the historic Yarra Bay House.
The residential land is primarily low density with areas allowing villas, townhouses etc located to the west of La Perouse High School and in the south of the suburb. Approximately 80.3 per cent of all private dwellings in Phillip Bay are separate houses, significantly higher than the Randwick City average (28 per cent). Phillip Bay has a low proportion of semi-detached housing, 6.4 per cent compared with the Randwick City average (15 per cent). The suburb provides a generally low density residential environment, but does include a number of residential flat buildings (one- to three-storey), which account for approximately 7.7 per cent of housing in Phillip Bay (compared with 48 per cent average for Randwick City).
Bus services operate along Anzac Parade and Bunnerong Road. These bus services are the only form of public transport available to the suburb.
Phillip Bay is one of smallest suburbs in Randwick City and includes large foreshore areas and open space. The population has a slightly higher proportion of children and young people and older adults, with significantly fewer 20 to 35 year olds.
History of Phillip Bay
Aboriginal people were the first to live at Phillip Bay and La Perouse and their presence was recorded by Europeans in 1812 by a French expedition. In 1883 a camp was established under the Aborigines Protection Board. Through time the settlement was run by a variety of church and welfare groups. At the end of the 1920's the reserve was moved back from the unstable sand to around the Elaroo Avenue area. The area is now owned by Aboriginal people, as is Yarra Bay house and the headland between Frenchmans and Yarra Bay.
To Europeans, the area around La Perouse developed, as many seaside suburbs did, through outdoor pastimes and weekend visitors, especially after the tramline was built in around 1900. In the Depression of the 1920s and 1930s, the area was home to many unemployed people who built makeshift houses there; to the north there was the mostly white Happy Valley and Hill 60 and to the south Frog Hollow which mostly housed Aborigines.