Yarra Bay House was built in 1903 as an addition to the Cable Station at La Perouse. When a second cable was laid in 1890 extra room was needed to house the workers. After 1917 when the Cable Station became obsolete the house was home to various government departments including the Director of Public Instruction (Later the Education Department) and the Department of Youth and Community Services.
In 1985 the title was given to the Aboriginal Land Council. A freshwater billabong has been constructed at the Back of Yarra Bay House to encourage the return of local frogs and birdlife.
List of References
- "Historic house given to Aboriginal Land Council," in Sydney Morning Herald, 14 September 1985, page 3
- "History of Yarra Bay House," in Messenger, 12 September 1990
- A Randwick Ramble, Randwick and District Historical Society, 1994 (LH919.441/RAN)