The Randwick Tramway Workshops were established at King Street Randwick in 1881 to build and service Sydney's trams. The workshops grew rapidly to become one of Sydney's largest engineering establishments peaking in around the 1920s. However, the popularity of motor cars in the 1930s diminished the Tramway Workshops functions and led to its eventual closure in 1960/61. The University of New South Wales bought most of the Tramway Workshops which now function as the Randwick Technical College. The eastern end is currently a bus depot.