Herbert Dudley was one of Randwick's greatest real estate agents and developers. He opened up large areas of land south of Maroubra for residential and commercial use. His slogan was "Watch Maroubra Grow".
Herbert Dudley was born in 1869 to Arthur and Annie Dudley. He was the eldest of four boys. Dudley left school at the age of 14 and worked as an apprentice draper at Farmers and Co. He maintained a good relationship with the owner of Farmers and Co., John Pope, who helped Dudley to buy his first block of land.
Dudley's first connection with the Randwick city area began in the 1890's after his family bought a holiday home in the village of Brand (now Malabar).Dudley moved to Dacre Street, Long Bay (next door to his parent's house) in 1903.
He built Dudley's Emporium on the corner of Anzac Parade and Maroubra Road, Maroubra Junction in 1912 / 1913. The emporium included a cinema, produce store, hardware and grocery store, drapery, refreshments, chemist, butchery and residence. He also built a wooden school (now Maroubra Junction Public School) in the following years.
Dudley was responsible for organising the tram line to be extended to Maroubra Beach, and for the first doctor and dentist to operate in the area. He also lent "Dudley's Pavilion" in Ireton St, Malabar to local church groups free of charge.
Herbert Dudley died in 1927 at the age of 57 and is buried at Randwick Cemetery.
List of References
- NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages
- Pioneer land developer is remembered" Weekly courier 29/05/1985 : 7
- Leonard, Bob. Letter to town clerk 19/11/1981
- "Development of the Church" Messenger 15/08/1984 : 11
- [Interview with Mrs Leonard] 05/06/1977