A sense of community
Places for people
Looking after our environment
Coogee chronicle

Coogee Beach c. 1940

Coogee Beach c. 1940

1832

  • Track constructed into the Coogee area along the route of what is now Anzac Parade and Alison Road.

1834

  • First land grant of 20 acres allocated to WC Greville. Grant included entire frontage of the bay at Little Coogee, now Clovelly.
  • In November land was auctioned at Coogee including 12 hectares purchased by WC Wentworth early in 1835.

1838

  • Survey and subdivision of Coogee area completed. On 25 July the village of Coogee was officially gazetted.
  • Coogee beachfront and headlands allocated as public reserve.

1860

  • First recorded surf tragedy; JC Horner and his son drowned.

1863

  • First school is established in a building that was later converted to become the Coogee Bay Hotel.

1867

  • Citizens of Coogee unsuccessful in their efforts to secede from Randwick Municipality.

1873

  • Coogee Bay Hotel opened.

1876

  • Classes commenced at Coogee Public School in Byron Street.

1882

  • Police station constructed.
  • Stone promenade wall is constructed along Coogee Beach.

1883

  • Tramline connected to Coogee.

1886

  • Coogee Ladies Baths constructed.
  • Bathing machines installed at Coogee.
  • Foundation stone of Saint Nicolas' Church laid by Bishop Barry on 18 December.

1887

  • Coogee Palace Aquarium and swimming baths opened on 23 December.
  • Saint Nicolas' Church consecrated by Bishop Barry on 26 November.

1888

  • Coogee connected to main water supply.

1890

  • Sewerage services extended to Coogee.

1901

  • Lloyds' Baths established.

1902

  • Tram service electrified.

1907

  • Coogee Surf Lifesaving brigade formed.

1911

  • Dressing sheds erected at Coogee beach.
  • Harold W. Baker and James Clarken carried out several rescues in heavy seas on 28 November.

1912

  • Electricity gradually replaced gas for street lighting.

1922

  • Coogee Surf Club building erected.

1928

  • Amusement pier opened on 24 July.

1929

  • Shark proof fence and shark tower officially opened by the Mayor, Ald JT Jennings, on 16 November.
  • Giles' Baths opened on the site of the former Lloyds' Baths.

1934

  • Amusement pier demolished.

1945

  • Shark proof enclosure is demolished.

1960

  • Trams cease to operate to Coogee.

1976

  • Modern Coogee Beach Surfing Complex opened in March.

1984

  • Fierce gales wreck Coogee Palace Aquarium in June.

1988

  • Major re-development of Coogee Beach is undertaken by Local and State Governments.

1993

  • 5 September, the Coogee Plaza Beach Redevelopment officially opened by the Mayor, Alderman Margaret Martin.

1995

  • 25 April, renovations of Wylie's Baths opened.